Activities & Food
Winthrop - Mazama - Twisp
Hiking - Biking - Fishing - Bird Watching - Horse Back Riding - Rafting - Boating - Golfing - Cross Country Skiing - Snowmobiling - Heli Skiing - Ice Skating - Hockey - Dining - Shopping - Farmers Markets - Wildlife and Nature Studies - Wine Tasting, Beer & Cider Tasting - Galleries - Sightseeing - Affordable Family Fun
Guest Tip: * Load this page on your Smart Phone with our mobile web app and use it as your tour guide while in Winthrop and the greater Methow Valley. Type our URL www.mtgardnerinn.com into your phone's web browser and click to the Things to do page. Save in your favorites and presto, handheld tour guide!
From the hotel, take a lovely half mile stroll to downtown Winthrop over one of two pedestrian suspension bridges. You may see a resident bald eagle or steelhead trout along the way. Once in town, choose from fine dining, the local brewery with award winning beers, a delectable bakery, two cider houses, a craft cocktail bar, and numerous other fine eateries. Don't miss shopping at Winthrop's galleries, boutiques, outdoor gear stores, antique shops, kitchen and garden shops, and even an independent bookstore. The historic Shafer museum is a must see during your visit.
Only in Winthrop
- Chamber of Commerce: Check out all of the great annual events Winthrop has to offer. Find details for the Balloon Festival, 49ers, Auto Ralley, Wine Festival, Christmas at the end of the Road, and much more. The website also has a detailed list of all the retail shops and restaurants. www.winthropwashington.com
- Arts & Cultural events calendar: You won't believe the thriving art scene we have in this little valley. See what is happening while you are in town or schedule your trip around one of the stellar performances or art classes. www.methowvalleyarts.org
- The Methow Valley is considered the "Birthplace of Smokejumping." Don't miss the North Cascades Smoke Jumper Base Camp while you are here. The smoke jumpers, themselves, give daily tours of the museum, planes, and base camp!
- The Winthrop National Fish Hatchery is another place to visit in the valley. This recently upgaded facility now has a state of the art spawning building and much more.
- The Shafer museum has over 15,000 visitors a year! That is alot in our neck of the woods. Boasting 13 buildings, old west memorabilia, & farming and mining equipment, this is a must see for the entire family. See the website for details.
Where to eat
- East 20 Pizza Winthrop (2 minute walk) Locals favorite. Two minute walk from the inn. Gourmet toppings & local whole wheat thin crust. Happy Hour from 3 to 5 pm. Wine and beers on tap or in the bottle.
- Arrowleaf Bistro Winthrop (2 minute walk) Superb gourmet cuisine. Reservations recommended.
- Copper Glance Winthrop (10 minute walk or 2 minute drive) A petit lounge bar offering creative classic cocktails, delicious wholesome fare and a selection of carefully procured beers & wines. No reservations.
- Old Schoolhouse Brewery Winthrop (10 minute walk or 2 minute drive) Award winning beers and Local beef burgers. Patio on the river.
- Jupiter (10 minute walk or 2 minute drive)- counter-service restaurant, offering ethnically infused, health-conscious food made to order along with baked goods and espresso. Other beverages include beer, wine, hard kombucha, NA kombucha, drip coffee, tea, and a large selection of non-alcoholic bubbly drinks.
- Brix Wine Bar and Bottle Shop (10 minute walk or 2 minute drive) is a purveyor of exceptional wines at afforable prices. Located downtown in the back of the Farmers Exchange Building. The cozy venue has a riverside view.
- Methow Valley Ciderhouse (15 minute walk or 2 minute drive)where they welcome families, pets, and the cider loving public to try their ciders, play bocce ball and listen to live music.
- Meza (10 minute walk or 2 minute drive) 42 Taps - Wine, Cider, craft beer, order at the counter Tapas style small bites.
- Olivers Artisan Kitchen (10 minute walk or 2 minute drive) A farm to table eatery. All ingredients are carefully sourced from organic and fair trade suppliers. Always using the best the seasons have to offer.
- Linwood Restaurant (10 minute drive -Twisp) Excellent Thai and Korean style Asian food.
- The 1908 (10 minute drive -Twisp) BBQ and Bourbon cocktails.
- Little Dipper (10 minute walk or 2 minute drive) Organic Cafe with locally sourced coffee.
- Sheri's Sweet Shop (10 minute walk or 2 minute drive) Ice Cream, handmade chocolate, pastries, espresso drinks, hot dogs and more.
- Carlos 1800 Winthrop (10 minute walk or 2 minute drive) Yucatan style Mexican cuisine.
- Rockinghorse Bakery Winthrop (10 minute walk or 2 minute drive) Delicious pastries, breakfast sandwiches, pizzas and more. Excellent espresso drinks.
- Gloverstreet Market Twisp (10 minute drive) Organic salad bar and juice bar.
- Three Fingered Jacks Winthrop (10 minute walk or 2 minute drive) Family style. Breakfast, lunch & dinner daily.
- Tappi Twisp (10 minute drive) Grandma's recipes from Sicily. Wood fired brick oven pizza, pastas & excellent wine selection. Open Friday through Monday for dinner only. Reservations recommended.
- The Mazama Store Mazama (15 minute drive) Provisions for your activity, excellent bakery, delicious soups and sandwiches.
- Cinnamon Twisp Bakery Twisp (10 minute drive) Wonderful bakery with sandwiches, pizza and more.
Things to Do
- Barnyard Cinema - Movie theater next door to the hotel! Snacks, beer & wine
- Methow Trails Ski, bike or run... all the trail info you need
- Methow Fishing Adventures Guided flyfishing trips
- Winthrop Ice Rink recently featured in Sunset Magazine as one of the Top 10 ice rinks in the west
- Early Winters Outfitting Horseback riding and pack trips
- Morning Glory Balloon Tours Hot air balloon tours over the Methow valley
- Methow Cycle & Sport Bike & ski rentals and gear
- Winthrop Mountain Sports Birding map, bike and ski rentals, maps and info, outdoor clothing, shoes, equipment and everything you need to enjoy the outdoors
- Bear Creek Golf Course Lovely course 4 miles from Winthrop
- Nectar Skin Bar All natural facials and specialty treatments
- Trails End Bookstore Independent bookstore with an excellent selection
- Methow Rafting Tube, kayak and raft the Methow
- North Cascades Heli-Ski Enjoy the backcountry with a little help! Awesome...
- Lariat Organic Coffee Roasters - award winning organic coffee
- Blue Star Coffee Roasters - award winning espresso drinks
Dog Daycare & Boarding
Transportation- Shuttles and taxi services
- Classic Mountain Cabby - 509-996-2894